Volunteers play an integral part in the success of HealthEast. Their dedication enhances the care we provide.
We are always looking for compassionate people who can fulfill the important role of a HealthEast volunteer. HealthEast volunteers come from all backgrounds and age groups (age 15 or older). We encourage you to share your gifts!
- Bethesda Hospital Volunteer Application Form
- St. John's Hospital Volunteer Application Form
- St. Joseph's Hospital Volunteer Application Form
- Woodwinds Health Campus Volunteer Application Form
Find your fit
To find the best fit for you, Volunteer Services staff matches your interests, skills and availability with departments and positions. We offer a variety of stimulating and diverse opportunities so we're sure to find a match for you. We can help you share your gifts, and you may even discover some talents you didn't know you had!
Our volunteers assist in many ways. Some interact directly with patients and families; others do not. We have positions that involve a lot of walking and some where you remain in one place for your shift. We try to accommodate your interests and talents while keeping in mind the needs of our facility.
Reap the rewards
The benefits of volunteering go far beyond the duties of the job. It gives you the opportunity to meet new friends, learn new skills and feel the satisfaction of a job well done.
Interested in a new career? You can use hospital volunteering as a way to explore health care careers. Get a feel for the work environment before you change or prepare for a new career.
In addition to a sense of accomplishment, volunteers receive:
- Free parking and a meal coupon for the day they volunteer
- Flexible hours
- Excellent training
- Opportunity to explore new careers
- Networking and camaraderie
- Recognition at a yearly volunteer appreciation event
Here are some frequently asked questions about volunteering:
- How much time do volunteers usually spend at the hospital each week?
Volunteers usually donate one four-hour day or evening shift per week. However, they may also choose to volunteer more hours each week.
- What type of commitment is expected?
Volunteers are asked to plan on four hours per week for at least six months.
- What do volunteers wear?
Volunteers' attire depends on their location and position. However, the standard volunteer uniform is a volunteer polo, black or khaki pants, closed-toe shoes and socks, and your ID badge. The volunteer polo can be purchased from the Volunteer department.
- What types of positions do volunteers hold?
Volunteer opportunities range from customer service positions to assisting staff with special projects. Assignments will be determined by your skills, interests and availability. More information about volunteer opportunities.
Contact Volunteer Services
If you have questions or want more information, contact a volunteer coordinator. Please note: You must be at least 15 years old to volunteer.
Hospice: 651-232-3412 or email
The Joint Commission requires new volunteers to complete the following:
- Online application (see above)
- Reference form
- Information session
- State of Minnesota background check
- Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) immunization record
- Varicella (chickenpox) immunization record
- QuantiFERON-TB Gold (QFT) or 2-step Mantoux test
We look forward to receiving your application!